Protect Your Home and Car This WinterBy Moneysupermarket.com, PRNE
Monday, December 12, 2011
CHESTER, England, December 13, 2011 -
- Check your insurance policy small print ahead of winter conditions, says MoneySupermarket
- Ensure you have adequate protection in place against car breakdowns and burst pipes
As we head further into the winter months, Brits are urged to check the small print of their home insurance and car breakdown policies to ensure they are covered for winter conditions and breakdowns, warns MoneySupermarket.com.
Britain’s number one comparison site advises drivers to be extra vigilant and prepared on the roads as colder weather brings potentially difficult driving conditions. Motorists should be prepared for the increased risk of breakdowns and accidents caused by more hazardous driving conditions, meaning that comprehensive car breakdown cover is imperative. MoneySupermarket found UK breakdown cover is available from as little as £28.50 a year with The Green Insurance Company and £28.85 a year with Kwikfit. These policies include features such as roadside repair and recovery to the nearest garage or any UK destination, alternative travel and accommodation costs.
Pete Harrison, insurance expert at MoneySupermarket.com said: “As the weather gets colder, it’s important drivers are extra vigilant and suitably prepared for the conditions before getting behind the wheel. Motorists should ready themselves and their vehicles for ice and snow before taking to the roads, as well as thinking ahead about the increased risk of breakdowns and accidents caused by the hazardous conditions.
”I advise people to make regular checks to their vehicles before driving to avoid being a victim of a breakdown. Taking regular precautionary measures such as checking the oil level, anti-freeze, hazard lights, and tyres for tread depth and pressure. It is also advisable to stow items such as a torch, reflective triangle sign, high-visibility jacket, first aid kit, warm clothing and jump leads should you need them in the event of an emergency.”
Home is where the heart is
The cold temperatures also mean Brits should check the small print of their home insurance policies to see if cover is provided for freezing and burst pipes, as well as boiler breakdown. Digging deep will reveal significant caveats in many policies for the cover of burst pipes, and some providers charge an additional premium for cover against boiler breakdown
Peter Harrison continued: “Homeowners will be shocked to discover burst pipes may not be covered by their insurance. For example, you may not be covered in the event of burst pipes if a property is left unoccupied, without heat or unfurnished - typically for 30 days in a row. If you are leaving a property unoccupied, confirming your cover with your insurance provider is crucial before you leave.
“Boiler breakdown exclusions to your policy are more common place, for example, cover is usually excluded when the boiler is over a certain age or if there are gas leaks from any pipes or gas-fired appliances. By considering the levels of cover needed, you can safeguard against facing the frosty chill of having to pay hundreds of pounds to repair damages. Speak to your provider if you are in any doubt about your levels of cover for your insurance policies and avoid getting caught out in the cold.”
Notes to Editors:
moneysupermarket.comtop winter motoring tips:
- Regularly check the oil level, anti-freeze, hazard lights and tyres for tread depth and pressure. Check the spare tyre is in good condition too.
- Have the essentials in your car, such as a torch, reflective triangle sign, high-visibility jacket, first aid kit and jump leads.
- Keep adequate distance from the vehicle in front and take particular care to look out for pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.
- In cold or icy conditions, drive carefully and ensure you don’t accelerate, brake or take sharp corners suddenly.
- Wear or stow essential winter clothing in the event of a breakdown in case you have to leave your vehicle.
moneysupermarket.comtop winter home tips:
- Keep heating on constant but lower than normal temperature. The house will remain warm, and avoids constant reheating when the house cools down.
- Check insulation is in place on water pipes and lofts and areas of water storage such as a water tank.
- If you have an outside tap, turn off the stop tap. This will prevent freezing and subsequent bursting.
- Be sure you know where your stopcock is and be able to turn it off in the event of a burst pipe
Notes to editors:
Breakdown Cover in UK
Provider Premium Benefits The Green GBP28.80 Roadside assistance, local recovery, Insurance Company nationwide recovery, home start, Recovery onward journey, hotel, car hire, caravan and trailer cover, priority service for female drivers or those with young children. Kwik-fit GBP28.85 Roadside assistance, local recovery, Recovery nationwide recovery, home start, onward journey, caravan and trailer cover, priority service for female drivers or those with young children. Rescuemycar.com GBP28.90 Roadside assistance, local recovery, Comprehensive + nationwide recovery, home start, Home onward journey, hotel, car hire, caravan and trailer cover, priority service for female drivers or those with young children. covermyBreakdown GBP31.95 Roadside assistance, local recovery, 4 Star nationwide recovery, home start, onward journey, hotel, car hire. Startrescue.co.uk GBP35.40 Roadside assistance, local recovery, 3 Star nationwide recovery, home start, onward journey, hotel, car hire, caravan and trailer cover.
Sourced by www.moneysupermarket.com 21.10.11
Based on a 2009 Ford Focus
moneysupermarket.com’s customer commitment
- No other site compares more prices or products
- We are independent so only find the best deals for you
- The price you see is the price you pay - you don’t need to go direct and you won’t get a better deal doing so
- Your details are safe with us and we won’t sell them to anybody
moneysupermarket.com compares (at 28th October 2011)
- 102 car insurance providers and 78 home insurance providers
- 12 broadband providers and 18 energy providers
- 29 unsecured loan and 7 secured loan providers
- 62 mortgage lenders and 27 credit card providers
- 70 savings providers and 35 current account providers.
- Over 890,000 mobile phone deals
We promise to be clear and impartial
- All the products in our full search results tables are displayed in a completely unbiased manner.
- We don’t add fees or commissions on to the prices we compare.
- There may be times when another site compares more companies than us on a particular product, perhaps because of market changes or technical issues. You’ll be able to see this and know we are working hard to fix it.
We promise to be trustworthy
- We never use your data to make unwanted sales calls or send you spam.
- We never pass your personal information to third parties unless you give us permission to do so.
- Even if you choose to receive additional information from us, you can opt out at any time.
- We promise to be supportive.
- You can use our community forum to get information and help from other customers.
If you need further help or support, you can contact our sales advisors, customer services agents.
For further information, please contact:
Tags: Chester, December 13, England, Moneysupermarket.com, United Kingdom