Motorists Will Pay the Price of a Drink Driving Conviction This ChristmasBy Moneysupermarket.com, PRNE
Sunday, December 4, 2011
CHESTER, England, December 5, 2011 -
- Drink driving conviction could increase car insurance by 85 per cent
Motorists convicted of drink driving could see the cost of their car insurance premiums rise by 85 per cent on average, according to MoneySupermarket.com.
Research carried out by Britain’s number one comparison site found that having a drink driving conviction (DR10 penalty) on a driving license can dramatically increase the cost of car insurance premiums. Motorists could see the cost of their cover go up from an average of £424 per year to £784 - a whopping 85 per cent (or £360) increase. Furthermore, some drivers may find it difficult to obtain insurance in the future. According to the Department for Transport, six per cent of all road casualties and 16 per cent of road fatalities occurred in accidents in which a driver was over the legal alcohol limit.2
Peter Harrison, insurance spokesperson at MoneySupermarket said: “This is the time of year for parties and festivities, many people will be choosing to celebrate with a tipple or two over the Christmas and New Year season. Ensuring you have adequate travel arrangements in place to get you home is essential as driving while under the influence should not be an option in any circumstances. Not only does it put the safety of the driver and passengers at risk, but endangers other road users and pedestrians.
“Motorists convicted of being over the legal alcohol limit will face serious consequences, with fines of up to a £1,000, a 12-month driving ban, and even a possible prison sentence. Drivers will also see their insurance premiums rocket, and some are also likely to encounter difficulties with finding a provider who is prepared to insure them with a drink driving conviction.
“Even drinking within the legal limit is unadvisable, as any alcohol consumed can impact reaction times, and can also impair coordination and judgement potentially making you a danger on the roads. It is also important to remember that each person reacts to alcohol differently - gender, age, weight, and metabolism are also factors which come into play. Anyone planning on driving over the festive period should stick to the soft drinks to ensure maximum safety on the roads.”
Notes to Editors:
1 Motor insurance premiums, with and without a drink driving conviction:
5 Yr NCD - DR10 Driving or attempting to drive with 5 Yr NCD - 0 alcohol level Difference in Provider Convictions above limit Premium Hastings Direct GBP335.37 GBP807.72 GBP472.35 Endsleigh GBP387.57 GBP909.43 GBP521.86 The AA GBP391.16 GBP731.40 GBP340.24 City Insurance Group GBP407.11 GBP690.76 GBP283.65 Direct Choice GBP414.48 GBP658.76 GBP244.28 Thames City Insurance GBP415.45 GBP928.62 GBP513.17 Premium Choice GBP422.51 GBP943.40 GBP520.89 The Policy Shop GBP426.19 GBP670.41 GBP244.22 Sureterm Direct GBP429.23 GBP897.36 GBP468.13 Rescuemycar.com GBP430.00 GBP957.94 GBP527.94 MCE Insurance GBP435.59 GBP833.44 GBP397.85 1st Central GBP436.92 GBP601.18 GBP164.26 Performance Direct GBP439.52 GBP607.55 GBP168.03 Swinton GBP439.60 GBP881.67 GBP442.07 quotelinedirect GBP439.64 GBP723.44 GBP283.80 Motor Insurance Warehouse GBP441.97 GBP761.01 GBP319.04 MyMotorQuote GBP453.95 GBP731.72 GBP277.77 Kwik-Fit Insurance GBP454.97 GBP777.97 GBP323.00 Halifax GBP461.49 GBP800.56 GBP339.07 Average GBP424.35 GBP784.97 GBP360.61
moneysupermarket.com’s customer commitment
- No other site compares more prices or products
- We are independent so only find the best deals for you
- The price you see is the price you pay - you don’t need to go direct and you won’t get a better deal doing so
- Your details are safe with us and we won’t sell them to anybody
moneysupermarket.com compares (at 28th October 2011)
- 102 car insurance providers and 78 home insurance providers
- 12 broadband providers and 18 energy providers
- 29 unsecured loan and 7 secured loan providers
- 62 mortgage lenders and 27 credit card providers
- 70 savings providers and 35 current account providers.
- Over 890,000 mobile phone deals
We promise to be clear and impartial
- All the products in our full search results tables are displayed in a completely unbiased manner.
- We don’t add fees or commissions on to the prices we compare.
- There may be times when another site compares more companies than us on a particular product, perhaps because of market changes or technical issues. You’ll be able to see this and know we are working hard to fix it.
We promise to be trustworthy
- We never use your data to make unwanted sales calls or send you spam.
- We never pass your personal information to third parties unless you give us permission to do so.
- Even if you choose to receive additional information from us, you can opt out at any time.
- We promise to be supportive.
- You can use our community forum to get information and help from other customers.
If you need further help or support, you can contact our sales advisors, customer services agents.
For further information, please contact:
Tags: Chester, December 5, England, Moneysupermarket.com, United Kingdom