Bill Clinton, Jane Goodall, Sha Zukang, Chief Surui and Others Talk About Crucial Importance of Environmental InformationBy Eye On Earth Abu Dhabi 2011 Summit, PRNE
Monday, December 12, 2011
ABU DHABI, UAE, December 13, 2011 -
The Eye on Earth Summit, held in Abu Dhabi from 12th to 15th December, brings together the world’s foremost thinkers about environmental information to reflect on how we can ensure that decision-makers everywhere take wiser decisions. Dozens of speakers with the caliber of President Bill Clinton, Dame Jane Goodall, UAE President H.E. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan or Conservation International boss Russell Mittermeier are helping delegates formulate concrete recommendations for the next Earth Summit, to be held in Rio in June 2012.
To view the Multimedia News Release, please click:
Access to environmental knowledge is critical: wise decision-making depends on it. As the COP-17 climate conference in Durban, South Africa, recently showed it is becoming urgent to address the world’s ability to prepare for coming changes to our planet. Environmental information is becoming increasingly precious.
But much of this information is unavailable, even when it already exists. It may be absent, inaccessible or simply hidden. Much of it is held in incompatible standards, ‘protected’ by bureaucratic complexity, restrained by lack of open access, or kept in the dark through ignorance of its existence.
Emerging economies in particular are at risk of losing valuable assets because of decisions taken without full knowledge. Yet making more environmental information available to them and others need be neither expensive nor especially complicated. What is needed, above all, is collaboration, information and understanding of the problems caused by unavailable data.
Water scarcity, food security and climate change are policy issues that require solutions that extend beyond political boundaries.
This VNR contains short, impactful statements by the following distinguished speakers:
- H.E. Razan Khalifa Al Mubarak, Secretary General, Environment Agency - Abu Dhabi
- Jack Dangermond, CEO & President, Environmental Systems Research Institute (Esri)
- John E. Scanlon, Secretary General, Conservational on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)
- President Bill Clinton
- Sha Zukang, UN Undersecretary General and Secretary General of the Rio +20 Summit
- Dr. Achim Steiner, Executive Director, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Hernando de Soto, President, Institute for Liberty & Democracy
- Dr. Jane Goodall, Founder, Jane Goodall Institute
- Chief Almir Surui, Amazon Indigenous Leader
- Prof. Jacqueline McGlade, Executive Director, European Environmental Agency
For more information contact:
Mustafa Alrawi, M: Communications on Mobile: +971-50-657-5945 or E-mail: email@example.com
Tags: Abu dhabi, Brazil, December 13, Eye On Earth Abu Dhabi 2011 Summit, Middle East, uae